vegan oatmeal apple-pear muffins
- 1.25 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t star anise
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1/4 t ground habnero pepper powder
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 2 T chia seeds
- 4 T ground flaxseed
- 3 T granulated sugar
- 3/4 C white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 C old-fashioned oats
- 1 T molasses
- 3–4 T canola oil
- 3/4–1 C raisins, soaked in
- 1/3 (approx) C rum
- 1 large apple-pear, grated, juice (approx 1/2 C) reserved
- 3/4–1 C nuts (pecans), coarsely chopped
- Measure 3/4–1 C raisins into 1 cup measure; add rum—let soak
- measure nuts and chop
- grate apple pear with quarter-inch holes, draining off juice
- preheat oven to 350
- measure dry ingredients, grinding out lumps from sugar & leavening
- add oil, molasses and liquids from fruit (juice & rum) and mix
- stir into dry; add fruit and nuts.
- spray muffin tin with pam & divide batter
- bake approximately 19 minutes or until golden brown
Makes ...12. I think.
Note: these muffins hold together well, and the flaxseed doesn't seem to make them gritty. Apple-pears are unusually juicy compared to regular apples, which would need water or juice to replace the egg & milk.
Out of walnuts.
Unless otherwise noted, text, image and objects depicted therein copyright 1996--present sylvus tarn.Sylvus Tarn