· r e j i q u a r · w o r k s ·
the various and sundry creations of sylvus tarn
2015 pysanky
Almost there...

We didn't do easter eggs last year, being in (or possibly preparing to be in) Japan at the time; this year, hectored mildly queried by a relative as to my easter dinner contributions, I volunteered eggs. Since I had an installation on Friday, and spent most of Saturday zoning out from the resultant exhaustion, I didn't actually get to working on the eggs till Sunday, which is why this post is late. I wanted to make eggs not only for family members (8 people) but also neighbors and such, so I boiled 16 eggs I'd let sit out overnight. 3 cracked.

First lot. I liked the black lines on the one, and so left the carbon saturated wax in place. I liked the lensbaby effects from 2013, so I used it again this time.

Though I briefly researched easter egg decoration online, I found my own notes from 2 years ago most helpful.

faves. Note the spots on the lower right: the dye (more or less) stays permanently water soluable, and the egg ‘exhaled’ between the time I finished dying it and the time I removed decided not to remove the wax.

I finally figured out what I did to get my 2004 effect, which you can see duplicated in the dark turquoise egg: I let the egg get good an saturated with a base color, put just a few designs on it, then let it good and saturated a second time. Voila!

Cool colors:)

The only additional comments I'd make for this year is that, yes,

  • etching the eggs in vinegar for several minutes helps
  • leaving them in dye for long periods—8–12 hours in the case of one of f2tY's—can result in really lovely, dark tones
  • as the eggs cool, the ‘cracks’ close back up.
  • the wax has to not just melt, but sheet, before wiping off.

The complete collection.


[pysanky] [2015]